Sunday, January 27, 2013

Blog Post #2

Did You Know 3.0
As an American to see all the statistics from this video is beyond shocking. To know that so many people have cell phones and computers in their reach is pretty scary. I do not like the fact that young people are so up to date, because they expanding themselves to a whole new world when the have internet access. It is dangerous to me, and I believe kids need to be monitored at all times while using internet.  In reality though the world is turning to technology and cyber space more and more every day.
Like the video said the top jobs ten years from now do not exist yet and will use technologies that have yet to be invented. So in a way I guess it is a good thing for the younger generation to be up to date with the adult world, because the world is progressing daily and someone has got to know how to operate things. I am very interested to see what the future holds technology wise.

Mr. Winkle Wakes
After watching Mr. Winkle Wakes, I have two sides on this video as well. The first one being: Imagine being in a coma for twenty years and waking up to a whole new world. Can you imagine how much change there would be in twenty years? Especially when there are new generations of apple products pretty much daily! So in twenty years try to picture things... I cannot even begin to imagine the products that will be out. That being said thank goodness we have people who are smart enough to come up with these items.
When it comes to the school part of the video, I kinda have to disagree. School is not the same. There are ELEMENTARY schools with iPads now. What elementary kid needs to use an iPad to learn one plus one, or the colors of the rainbow? I do not agree with most technology in school that early, but I guess it is something that has to be done this day and time.


Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of  Creativity

 In the video Sir Ken Robinson presented he pointed out how teachers are "required" to teach. Teachers are expected to teach by the guidelines of the state. Sir Ken Robinson tries to explain how all children learn differently from one another and I could not agree more. Some children are hands on learners while others prefer to learn it on their own. He explains that creativity is becoming extinct.

I completely agree with Sir Ken Robinson. I am a very different learner myself, and it really depends on what subject it is if I prefer to be hands on or learn it on my own. I believe teachers should encourage children to do things the way that is most comfortable to them. If teachers can structure their teaching style to fit the need of each student, I believe the students would be more eager to learn.If teachers would step outside their comfort zone, and think outside the box children will also begin to think that way. 

Pinterest
As I created an account for pinterest and began to explore, I am still debating on whether or not I will find it helpful in the classroom. I did find a few videos to help explain Factoring in math that I thought was cute and will probably use it for my children. I like things broke down into song form because I learn faster that way. I do not believe I will let my students use pinterest because that is not getting them to think of creative ideas on their own. I do not want my students to rely on other peoples ideas I want them to have their own train of thought. Yeah this website is great for suggestions, but that is also taking away from the students in my opinion.  

3 comments:

  1. "I do not like the fact that young people are so up to date, because they expanding themselves to a whole new world when the have internet access. It is dangerous to me, and I believe kids need to be monitored at all times while using internet. " First "expanding themselves to a whole new word when the have internet access..." needs some attention to writing. I am not exactly sure what you mean by "expanding themselves". Perhaps exposing themselves? And the should be they (before internet access. Having made these corrections I will say this statement amazes me. You really would like to hold students back? Why do you think it is "dangerous"? Do you really believe "kids need to be monitored at all times while using [the] internet"? How is that possible? Do you have no trust? Do you not believe that people can be taught to act responsibly? I assure you most can.

    I see you back away from your initial position in the second paragraph. Think before you write and your writings will be better!

    Mr. Winkle slept for 100 years, not twenty. You may have changed the time frame on purpose since you are thinking about the future. A side note: Have you ever read or heard of the short story "Rip Van Winkle" by Washington Irving?

    "What elementary kid needs to use an iPad...?" I suggest (once we get rid of your restrictive clause "...to learn one plus one, or the colors of the rainbow") that all students do! The new technologies are the most powerful tools for learning ever invented. We just have to learn how to use them for that purpose.

    "I do not agree with most technology in school that early..." Why not?

    "I did find a few videos to help explain Factoring in math that I thought was cute and will probably use it for my children." You have a plural subject (videos) but then you switch to the singular: "was cute" and "use it".

    "I like things broke down into song form because I learn faster that way." broken down, not broke down. A better way to write this would be to remove "broken down" from the sentence: "I like things in song form because I learn faster that way."

    "I do not want my students to rely on other peoples ideas I want them to have their own train of thought." Here is my challenge: Find me anyone who has not been influenced in their thinking by that of others. Anyone.

    "Yeah this website is great for suggestions, but that is also taking away from the students in my opinion. " If you really mean what you say everyone would have to learn everything in a vacuum with no outside influences at all. Come now. Is that what you really believe? Or do you just want the influence to be your "truth"?

    ReplyDelete

  2. When reading your post I agree with a few of your ideas. I also feel that children should be monitored while using the internet although "at all times" maybe hard. One teacher could not stand over every student so I would disagree with that thought. I also believe that technology should be used in schools as early as possible. I feel that your post could be better if you make one point and stick to it. You make a good point by saying "...I want them to have their own train of thought". It is good to have the children think for themselves but how would they learn new things without the outside world? I believe you have good arguments of why you do like or why you don't like certain topics but I think your writing could be better without the argument being within your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your post has some good points! I think children using the computer can be a problem, if they are not taught how to use a computer correctly. This is something that every child should be taught how to do. I wouldn't consider children knowing about technology as being in the "adult world". I think because most technology;such as the iPad, iPod, etc has many games and learning apps, that it is more of a toy than an actual "adult" item. But I do understand where your concern may come in because you can do a lot of different things on those types of technology. I think over time you will start to love Pinterest! It takes a lot to get used to, but it can be very helpful in some situations. I love Pinterest; it helps me do a lot of things that I would never think of on my own and I can create my own project off of someone else's idea. Don't give up yet on it, I think over time you will find some pretty cool things on it!

    ReplyDelete