Sunday, April 28, 2013

Blog post #14

Teachers Know 
In the article, Teachers Know if You've Done the E-Reading I learned about a new program CourseSmart that is being tested at Texas A&M. CourseSmart realizes when students are failing to read textbooks, or if a student even opens his or her book. I believe this program can be very helpful to both the student and the teacher. 

As a teacher I believe this tool would be helpful to me in many ways. If I see that a student is not getting much out of their textbook, I could focus more on teaching in a different style. It is very important for a teacher to know how each of their students learn best, and adapt to those needs. Some may say that's impossible, I say that it is my JOB as teacher and it will get done.

As a student I would not fret on weather or not the teacher could see if I read my assignment. I am gonna study or learn in the best way that works for me. In the article it mentions students trying to cheat the system, however if a student is still making good grades say by watching lessons on YouTube, why punish the student for not reading? A college student usually takes four to five classes a semester and could feel overwhelmed by reading every single thing assigned. 

Questions for teacher?
-If you see a student is not reading, yet still making good grades, would you punish them?
-If you as a teacher saw that your student learned better via YouTube lectures would you be willing to work the videos in your lesson plans more?

Questions for students?
-Has this program helped you or put you behind?
-Would you prefer an eBook to an actual text book?

My comment for this article?
I would DEFINITELY like to try this program out in my classroom. This would help me see how different students minds work, and how each one learns best. If I saw that my students were not learning well by reading text on their own, I would try something new until we as a classroom whole were successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment