Sunday, February 24, 2013

Project 10

Finding the Right Tools
After a lot of research and blog reads I finally found some tools I can use in my classroom. I will be teaching special needs students in elementary.  Some argue that technology is not for special needs children because they are not capable of using it; however there is technology out there made just for them. In a blog iDevices in Special Education Classroom I learned there are many different features on iPads to help the disabled. There are built-in accessibility tools such as zoom and high contrast display make this a tool to support visually impaired. There are apps that are inexpensive and exciting to increase vocabulary, sight words, math facts, reading comprehension, organizational skills, and drawing skills.

On a different blog I learned that children with autism do better with pictures, by having an iPad they will visually learn better.  Also something interesting I discovered was the Model Me Kids, it teaches children social skills on the computer. It also helps them pay attention. Model Me Kids offers an array of engaging videos for school. Children with autism, nonverbal learning disorders, and other special education needs make perfect candidates for the videos, although all children can benefit from social skills reinforcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment